Sunday 18 March 2012

We All Do It!


We all do it in the secrecy of our own homes, sometimes on our own, sometimes with others. Some may have even done it in the library! Afterwards we feel very naughty and feel like perhaps we shouldn’t have done it. But it’s a bad habit, and it can bring so much sordid pleasure.

I’m actually talking about procrastination.  Its true though.

There are countless ways to procrastinate, and writing a blog is one of them. Facebook is another. Catch up telly is another popular option. What many of you though I was writing about above is potentially another option for some! Cleaning is another great one, because it makes it seem like you’re doing something good rather than watching an episode of ‘Faking It’ circa 2002, which I am ashamed to admit, I have resorted to procrastinating with in the past. WHY?

Why do people do it? Well because it helps us to put off all the important stuff we have to do with pointless things. Technically speaking, one might argue that it is a very intelligent practice given the ‘balance’ so many students so carefully maintain between trivial and vital encounters with life’s tests. Procrastinators are highly skilled beings, given that they still work to deadlines, just very tight ones – we’d make excellent journalists! Of course, I can now her the voice of my mother in my head ‘Olivia, have you got any work you could be doing?’. Yes, Mother, I am doing a degree, I will ALWAYS have some work to do. Being a teacher I guess it has been instilled within her to ask me if I have some work to be doing, but it is this that actually gets me off my bum to the desk of doom where I trawl out sentences of varying academic quality in the hopes of ticking off another of my assignments from THE LIST.

THE LIST is my friend when I defeat it, but right now, it is looking at me rather daringly, so maybe I’d better go and whittle away at it.

Oh, I had to put this status in from my sister, but it proves that her and I are most definitely related:
"After 624million clicks on the refresh button, stalking everyones photo's, looking up and attempting to do the shortcuts on Mario Kart, making several drinks, washing up, sudoko, more Mario Kart, eating copious amounts of food that I didnt even want, picking my split ends..I have come to the conclusion that I should take a look at the essay titles which I was given a month ago. Due in tomorrow, cant procrastinate any further".

No comments:

Post a Comment