Thursday 22 March 2012

One for the Girls!


I will be writing a post on music soon, but I want to do it properly, so for today I’m just going to talk about other stuff.

I know that loads of people won’t find this that interesting but today I’m going to talk about products and brands I like for cosmetics, hair, and fragrance etc. 

It isn’t intended to be a review or whatever, just telling you basically what I like and why J

So, what do I like to smell of? I only have a few perfumes, and my staple fragrance is ‘Daisy’ by Marc Jacobs because I love how fresh it smells without being too sharp, it still smells girly and a bit flowery without being too insipid. I have a bottle of this in Leeds and at my parent’s house because I love it so much. I also love the ‘Original Pink’ by Soap & Glory and love this brand as a whole. This is a much sharper fragrance but again still smells very fresh and feminine. I actually wear this more than Daisy recently.  At my Mum’s I also have ‘Live’ by J-Lo, and, much as I hate admitting I wear celebrity perfumes, if it smells good, then why the hell not? I used to wear this mainly throughout Sixth Form and got loads of compliments on how I smelt.


So, make up. Anyone who knows me will know how much I love my make up. If I lost my make up bag(s!) it would cost me about £300 to replace it all, which might suggest I go for high end stuff but not at all! I love high street make up, especially Boots 17, which I get most of my stuff from. Their eye shadows, lipsticks, mascara, bronzer and blusher are all very good.

 Being naturally blonde, and very pale, I rarely wear eyeliner, but if I do it’ll be gunmetal, dark green or very dark blue so it looks a little more subtle.
17 is horrendous for foundation for me, and I really wouldn’t recommend their stuff if you have pale skin like mine. They do a tinted moisturiser which I can get away with, but the palest shade they manufacture in anything else makes me look like an Oompa Loompa, not cool. So I tend to use Colour Supplements from Lush. ‘Jackie Oates’, whilst being an extremely pale shade is my favourite, and works really well if I’m going for a more vintage day look, whereas on a night out I’ll use the ‘Light Pink’, because it gives a bit of colour and is more heavy on the skin for better coverage. Sometimes I mix them together. These can also be used with moisturiser for a lighter look, or as concealer so are very versatile. I have also used Rimmel for foundation in the past and been very happy with their ‘Ivory’ shade which is spot on. I don’t like my skin to look matte because my skin can be dry in places, so I go for a dewy sort of finish espesh on the cheeks, which looks far more natural.

I have quite high cheekbones, so I like to accentuate them with a pinkish toned blusher to match my skin tone, but occasionally use bronzer if I need a bit more colour. I also define my eyebrows so that they look relatively dark in comparison to my blonde hair, but I like this contrast as it brings out my features more. A Scouse Brow is too far, but a brown pencil again by 17 creates the look I like without being too harsh, or a dark brown eyeshadow creates a more subtle look.
I have a huge range of eyeshadows, from bright blues, greens, oranges and purples, right the way through to darker tones like black, grey, browns etc, and I use a shimmery gold eyeshadow as a highlighter on the brow and above the cheekbones (this can also be used to slim the nose). I find 17 very good for bright colours, along with Barry M, and use ‘Shimmer Cubes’ from the Body Shop too, which are very expensive, but are great quality and last a long time. My housemate has also recently introduced me to Primer Potion from Urban Decay and I now need this in my life! It freezes your eyeshadow in place so you don’t get the nasty creases where your make up gathers by the end of the night (or day)!


For mascara, I’m very picky. I have really long eyelashes and like to make them stand out, so I tend to have at least 4 mascaras on the go at any one time. I tend to find that the brush is more important than the actual mascara, but the clumpiness of new mascara really annoys me. When I find a brush I like, I tend to keep the empty mascara but dip the brush into a new pot to get the look I like. However, generally speaking I tend to go for Rimmel, or 17. I did once go for a George one when the loan was running short, but had an emotional day and ended up looking like Count Dracula and the Joker’s fucked up love child combined with an A to Z map, I have never known mascara run like it!

For nail varnish I tend to go with Barry M, as I have a weird allergy to certain brands and it gives me a lovely rash! Nice it of scabies there for you.. Anyway, I like bright reds, oranges, pinks, golds, greens and blues, and they do a great range of really eye catching colours, so there you go.


Oh my God what a marathon!! Right, in terms of hair, I’ll wash it with anything but find that Loreal (because I’m worth it, all £3.47 of it) works great for me, and doesn’t strip my hair to bits. It gets dead knotty and tangled, so I HAVE to use a conditioner or risk the birds nest factor, and yeah, its just good stuff really, espesh the ‘Nourish & Shimmer’ one in the goldish bottle, smells nice too, which is always a good start!! My hair’s really straight so I tend to curl it, or go over the top layer to kill flyaways and make it shiny shiny, very shiny with Toni & Guy superthin plates straighteners because I like the curls to look more natural, which these achieve and because I’m frankly too skint for GHDs and to me, they’re just as good, and cost £17.50 from Argos, and we all like a bargain. I don’t really anything else on my hair except I crimp the roots for volume sometimes, and use dry Shampoo for volume. Baptiste XXL volume is fab for this, its my new wonder product, and the whiteness helps to hide roots for blondes who lighten their hair a bit.

Wow I’ve written loads! I know most guys won’t be interested in this post but maybe some ladywomenpeople will be! In other news, I’m dip-dyeing my hair violet and pink for tonight so that should be fun, but first I’d best get back to the portfolio I need to finish! Cheers for reading, as ever I appreciate it J
PS. And here is my face - stolen from my Twitter! Just in case anyone reads this who doesn't know me much and wonders what all that slap actually makes me look like!

No comments:

Post a Comment