Saturday 17 March 2012

Mama T

Today's post is in the spirit of the occasion, about Mums, and particularly, mine.

My Mum has been there for me from literally day one, and has seen me at my best and worst. I am fortunate in that we have a good relationship and get on well, which is something I have never taken for granted. There is little that I couldn't tell my Mum, and she has been patient with me in listening to and supporting me through tough times, but has also shared in my successes. I'd like to say that my Mum is proud of me, although like everyone, I've made mistakes, and as she doesn't think the sun shines out of my backside she will always tell me when I've been wrong, and has brought me up to apologise for any mistakes right from before I can even remember. Including when I catapulted Ready Brek into my sister's eye about 15 years ago for chewing Weetabix with her mouth open (which was a bit naughty but really funny at the time (for me anyway...)).

This is one of the things I love the most about my parents, they are happy to share in my successes and support me in my troubles, but have never let me or my sister get away with anything if they think we're wrong, and neither of us have been spoilt. I've had various jobs since I was twelve and I see my parents both working hard which gave me a similar work ethic. It sounds like the cheesiest thing EVER but I love my Mum so much and I know I'll always need her in some way no matter how old I get.

Mum brought us up Catholic, which although I am no longer really part of, I believe it was a formative part of my character and encouraged me to treat others in a certain way, with general open-mindedness and respectfulness of people's beliefs and opinions. She taught me that if you want something you have to earn it, be that qualifications, respect, love, money or any other thing.

Mum made me and Sophie 'please and thankyou' kids, which I love, and will be stubborn about with my own kids. Quite genuinely, one of my goals in life is to make my Mum proud of me, because I'm so proud of her for everything she does. The thought of ever losing my Mum seems like a horrific prospect, but hopefully that will be a long time in the future. Having said that, it can never be a given that everyone will live to old old age, and so everytime I see my Mum or speak on the phone I try to make sure that I tell her I love her just so she knows I do appreciate what she does for me.

There are other people in my life that have been like a mother to me, and I never forget what these people have done for me. My Grandma, and my Aunties have been wonderful to me and are part of some of my best memories and have been there for me without reservation.

Favourite things about Mum:

Her Harry Potter glasses from times past

Whenever I'm hungry, she'll always tell me we have bread, or cereal. She also only EVER buys ginger biscuits.

The hideous matching dresses she put me and Sohie in - they were bloody awful but still its funny looking back.

Aluuuuurn.

Even though I'm 21 she still makes me a packed lunch if I'm back home for placement, and I don't even have to ask.

The silly faces and dances she does.


Mother Dearest, Marma(lade), you probs won't read this but I want you to know you're a massive legend and I appreciate all the crap you put up with from me, it doesn't go unnoticed! Lavyoo :) Liv x

No comments:

Post a Comment