Thursday 1 March 2012

Facebook Issues.


Sometimes I think social networking sites can be great.
Sometimes I think social networking sites are awful.

If you need to arrange a get together fast and don’t have everybody’s number then it can be the greatest invention known to man. On the other hand if you have an essay due in, you know that: 

the word count on your status will be greater than that of your essay. This is a fact.

It can be very manipulating in many areas of life. Friendships are altered in that people you used to know in ‘real life’ become further away because no one feels the need to catch up because everyone already knows everything that’s been happening for them, so why give them a call?

Relationships too present a problem concerning Facebook. 

People reach a point where things become ‘Facebook Official’ 
(yes, capital F and O letters means it’s a big deal).
Facebook Officiality means you’re both at a point where you want over 500+/- people to know you have a new squeeze, and set yourself up for the potential future embarrassing statement of ‘……is now single’ (+little red heart next to it). This is always followed by ‘oh hunnn I’m here 4u u knw where I am baaaaabe’ from someone you haven’t seen in at least 6 years, and don’t actually know where they are because they’ve probably moved house since then. I actually think maybe we’d all be better off if none of us displays this information, because those two people know where they stand with each other, why should everyone else need to? I feel that when I’m in my next relationship I will give it more thought before probably doing the same again, conforming, and just putting it up there anyway.

Other times, we discover that elements of trust are also vital when using Facebook whilst in a relationship. We can choose to do something bad and not get found out. The lines between friends and something more can become blurred. Many people also do not trust their partners even when they've done nothing at all. The potential risks make some people very concerned, and can be destructive when there is no need. 

So in light of all this, will I be deleting my Facebook account? No, are you crackers, I have a dissertation looming, and I'll only find another way to procrastinate.

1 comment:

  1. Facebook is the reason I have to disable the Internet on my laptop when writing essays.

    I agree with your points about trust, too. Everybody is entitled to privacy, of course, but if you do find yourself being flirty when you shouldn't, you should think about what you're doing.

    ReplyDelete