Saturday 9 June 2012

Being 'Beautiful'

This is something I've noticed since becoming single and I really hope that I won't be misunderstood because it is a fine line issue.
Hear me out.

Right, so picture the scene, you're out with a friend, just a girl mate, having a laugh, good tunes on just dancing about being stupid and you literally can't lose each other because you have one phone between you. So basically you AREN'T interested in pulling. No thanks, just isn't on the cards. No matter what realm of heaven you have descended from, how long you have spent in the gym, how many times you have won Masterchef, or how many times you've seen (insert cool band name here) backstage and been invited to their mum's for tea.

So there we are, all loving the tunes etc. and quite a good looking guy with two mates comes dancing over, and after telling him my name is 'Olivia' (because people hear Liv as Liz or Lynn - or alternatively go 'what the fuck kind of name is 'Liv'?') which he confuses for Eleanor, and then Elizabeth anyway, I have to write the bloody thing into his phone so he can actually read my name for himself.

This was met with:

  1. 'What a pretty name'
  2. 'You're so beautiful'
  3. 'I bet you've had to reject every guy in here tonight'
I'm not really sure what was going through his head but I can safely say each compliment got worse because each sounded more cheesy and cringeworthy than the last. Coupled with the fact that this guy later announced that he was 26 made it worse because I thought these cheesy chat up lines may have diminished from his repertoire by that age.

I know girls apparently like to be told they're beautiful or whatever but for me, the less I get complimented the more I like a man. If I'm told how beautiful I am, how amazing, awesome, hot, sexy or whatever else within the first 5 minutes, or date, chances are that the guy won't get a second date or even a first one if they've boomed all that out within a first encounter. It freaks me the fuck out all that too much too soon stuff. 

I don't know if it's just me but it just sounds insincere, or if the guy is actually sincere it scares me that they've put me on a pedestal and all I will do is disappoint them. Some guys can be really lovely and play out the balance just right and I certainly think these guys exist, there just becomes a point when it becomes overkill.

Especially when 10 minutes later they ask 'what's your name again'? Twice...

No comments:

Post a Comment