Wednesday 29 February 2012

Glass half full!!


I keep noticing how pessimistic some people can actually be. Of course, we all have our off days and it has its place. We all need to let off some steam sometimes, wallow in self pity or just feel generally miserable. There are those who get depressed, which of course is an ongoing struggle for people. I’m not saying I don’t do it, as I’ve certainly done lots of it in some of my posts!

 But others, I think actually love whinging. All the time.

There are people out there who like to feel miserable. They perpetuate their misery by engaging in discussions and activities that further their miserableness, and tell others relentlessly about how bad their lives are, how awful their situation has become, and how wrong society is, how unjustly they have been treated, how horrific their past experiences have been, how ill fated their lives will continue to be, bla bla bla. Constantly, every day, for their whole life.
Seriously? What kind of life is this?

 The saddest part of it is that their cynicism and negativity of everything will be the worst thing that happens to them, not their actual bad experiences.

Everyone goes through this stuff! Everybody. It's called life. I think most people will have generally the same life experiences, just in a different order to others. Whinging about insignificant details like, ‘ohhh there’s a disproportionate amount of milk to froth on my latte L’, or ‘day 3 of my cold, guess I’d better take another day off work I'm so desperately ill' quite irritate me.

Death in the family? Heartbreak? Illness (and not just a slight sniffle)? By all means, these are normal things to get sad about. But whinging about everything is just unnecessary, tiresome, and drags us all down with you. Its not just about that odd whine on Facebook, or whatever, I mean in real life. Someone I know (and before anyone reads anything into this is not anyone on Facebook, or even of our generation at all - to those who thought otherwise I'm actually talking about one of my grandparents) has been a genuine misery guts for their whole life, and its resulted in me and those around this person dreading seeing them, because they whinge and moan and turn the whole occasion into a chore. The whole of my contact with this person has been negative, and they push away everyone who tries to help them with rudeness and complaints. I feel bad for even thinking this way but at the same time its selfish and its become ingrained within me to never get to this point regardless of what life throws at me. It is a really really massive shame, because its become such a habit I don’t think they even realise it anymore. I love them, but I don’t like them and there’s a huge distinction there.

Perspective is key, because if you look around, there will always be someone around you who’s going through a worse time. Always. Its not hard to find someone else who’s REALLY suffering for some reason, and maybe if more people channelled their energy into helping these people through their bad times then they might feel more positive about their own lives.
My general rule is, yes, be sad sometimes, its ok and certainly isn’t a crime. But at least attempt at some positivity and you never know, it might change your life for the better.
Glass half full, yeah?

Its March soon, the lambs and chickens will be born, the blossom will come out and we can all have picnics and beverages OUTSIDE again! What better excuse?

No comments:

Post a Comment