Sunday 27 December 2015

Can't think of a title for this bollocks I still write

One thing I've come to realise and continue to be taken aback by, is the fact that we're never 'done'. We will never be complete in life's experiences until we are literally dead. That blows my mind. So why do we worry about life being complete? It just can't be. 

We could naively believe at the age of 15 that we'll have life sorted when we're 20, 25, or 30, but the reality is that life will only be sorted when you're happy and content with absolutely every aspect of your life, and who ever is? It's not that we should lower our expectations, but the constant strive for utter perfection can surely only lead to disappointment? Perfection doesn't exist. 

Disappointment with body image, career prospects, relationships, or children, or perhaps the lack of them. Nothing will ever be perfect. Work will present challenges, you may never get rid of that cellulite, or get the six pack you want, and you may never find the perfect relationship, if there is such a thing. 

Why can't we just accept that we can do or be our best, but that our best is good enough? Constant comparisons with other peoples' lives and successes on Instagram, Twitter, or their highlight reel on Facebook are never going to compare to your greasy hair and hoodie combo (especially when you're hungover). You don't know what they've been through either. The thing is, behind each updated selfie hides an individual who has chosen the best angle, best filter and best photo of them and their bae to display to your lowly self. That's another thing, when I'm actually dating/seeing/in a relationship/WHATEVER with someone, I can't say I really take many photos together because I'm usually too busy eating food, going for walks, being a massive geek, watching Netflix, living actual life with the person in question. I can't say that photo shoots are high on the agenda. In fact, in my last relationship I don't think we ever had a picture together, because we were just busy having too much fun. It's ok to do it too though, if that's you, that's you. I just think many couples compare themselves to these wondercouples, but the amount of photos you have together does not represent the bond you share with a person. 

I accept that my own life is not perfect, and that I myself am imperfect,  which is fine, but I'm relatively happy in my own skin. I have some incredible people in my life who make me howl with laughter, and accept me unconditionally. I have good qualifications, lots of talents and interests, a job which I love, and at my age I believe those things are great achievements.

 If you want to travel, do it. If you hate your job, leave it. If you want to run a marathon, start training. If you're scared about something, confront it. Record an album, have a change of career, take a risk, tell someone how you feel, whatever it is, there just isn't a timescale that life should happen within. It might not work out, but that's ok too. Failures can't define you forever. I used to think as a child that I'd have my life sorted by now. But I know that I never truly will, and this freedom to be imperfect is an intrinsically wonderful thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment